Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Amazing Race, what a day!

Well, I FINALLY got to audition for AR.  As many of you know, I've been wanting to do this forever but it seems the "window of opportunity" to put in an application is very small.  I'll check, check, check the website, the deadline will be for the last AR, I won't check for 2 weeks then BAM, I check and I've missed the deadline by like 1 day!

So off to Turfway today to wait in line.  The website says you can't line up before 11:00, they'll kick you off the premises if you try.  I thought I'd get there a little earlier, just to check it out.  I get there at 9:30...I'm like pretty far back in the line!  Well, so much for sticking to the rules!  I was not prepared because I didn't think I would be waiting outside for 1.5 hours, but I had a heavy coat and gloves so I managed.  I met the few people ahead and behind me in line and we collectively bitched about the situation.  When the guy came around to count teams, we were in the 150's so we're feeling secure.  I was not with my teammate, my sister Karen, because she was 3 hours away working the school cafeteria.  That's OK, they don't start taping until 4:00.

We finally make it inside around 11:15 and we have to sit around in our line until 4:00.  I brought stuff to do but it's still boring and exhausting. 
My line mates were nice enough to let me go in and out of line without a team mate to hold my place.  At 3:30, I still have no team mate and they start the registration.  I get up to the registration line, was going to get the number 158 I think, go up to the window...was told I couldn't check in without a team mate. 
Starting registration and Karen is missing
Oh! So close, I was at the window but denied!

Karen is in Dry Ridge and they are only guaranteeing 200 auditions.  Luckily, they let me stay at the front of the line until she got there.  Well, after a frantic phone call to tell her to get her ass in gear, I sit and wait as I watch the 200 number grow closer and closer.  All the sudden I get a call from Karen, she's rushing into Turfway on her phone, talking to me and we are frantically trying to find one another (I wasn't hard to find at the front of the line).  I swear it was like the Amazing Race right there.  She was running, I'm calling out, people in line are helping her get to the front of the line with me...we end up with number 208...we're out of the guarantee zone...

Getting pretty for the camera
 So, more waiting with my fellow line mates, some skit practicing with Karen and then my line mates leave to audition...it should be me...we better get to audition!  In come some new people wanting to sit at our table.  Great group of 20 somethings (and a real looker in the group too!) but their number was like 350 so I think they pretty much knew they weren't getting in


First line mates
Second line mates

They FINALLY call our number, we go up to the room, sign in giving our name and contact info, and before you know it, we're in front of the camera with 1 minute to shine!


WE NAILED IT!  Our shirts, our props and our kissing each other grabbed their attention I think!

I REALLY want to do this but if it isn't meant to be, at least I can say I tried!

1 comment:

  1. I really really hope that you guys get on!!! That will be ridiculously AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete