Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Lent means brown bread...

So, it's Lenten season and that only means one thing...brown bread.  Since I can remember, my mom would make brown bread during Lent and we'd eat it with cream cheese for lunch on Friday's since we couldn't eat meat.  I've carried on the tradition in my house but right now, Izzy is the only kid that will eat it.  The other two don't know what they're missing!

Brown Bread:
1 cup All Bran cereal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp dark Karo
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (instead of buying I take 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice and add enough milk to make a cup, let sit 10 minutes)

Mix all ingredients then add buttermilk.  Bake in loaf pan 325 degrees fro 50-60 minutes.  Let cool 30 minutes.  Mom always made hers in cans filled 2/3 full.


Isaac had a birthday last week, he turned 11. He was happy as can be when Izzy made him cupcakes and made the "11" out of bacon!

I've been doing a lot of running lately, we're really getting up in miles.  I did 14 today and I'm a little nervous because my knees are killing me!  I've never had a running injury before so I hope they aren't shot!

The weekends have been fun, two weeks ago I went to the Stagette at my kids school.  I bid on a silent auction item and got 16 free 1 hour personal training sessions for $60!  Can you believe that!  Joe did the food and it was delicious and he was down some workers so Isaac went to help him...he's a hard worker.


3 Hot Cougars!
My table with Mom, Martha and Karen's backs

Last weekend was Night at the Races at church.  I started out with $6 in betting money and came home with $12 so I won a couple races, but I would have loved to win split-the-pot! 

Well, I'm off to rest...as much as you can rest with ten 11 year old boys I have spending the night!



No comments:

Post a Comment