Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Keeneland and Keepers (NOT!)

Thursday night was "Mom comes over for dinner and I try a new recipe" night.   NOT a keeper.  Not that it was bad, but if I wanted to have a taco, I'd make a traditional taco and be done with it. 

 Salsa Pizza and Cheese Crust:
1 pound ground beef
1 1/4 cups think & chunky salsa
2 cups Bisquick
1/4 cup mild salsa or jalapeno flavor process cheese spread
1/4 cup hot water
1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, if desired

Heat over at 375.  Brown beef, drain, stir in salsa.  Stir baking mix, cheese spread and water until soft dough forms.  Knead 5 times.  Roll into 14" circle, place on greased cookie sheet.  Spread beef within 2" of edge.  Fold edge over beef.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 25-28 min or until gold brown.  Top with lettuce and tomatoes.

Friday I took the day off work and headed down to Keeneland
with my girlfriends and husbands.  Kristy and Jan have been my
friends for over 25 years.  We met when we were freshman in high school. 
I feel very fortunate to have life-long friends.  We didn't win anything but it was a BEAUTIFUL day and company was awesome!
 

I also made some cookies to take down to Keeneland (for tailgating before the races) and this also was NOT a keeper.  I love lemons but these cookies were just not sweet enough for me.  The funny part is the top of the recipe says "Keeper Recipe"...liars!

Lemon Meltaways
Cookies:
1 1/4 cups AP flour
3/4 cups butter, softened
1/2 cup corn starch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
Frosting:
3/4 cup powered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel

In large mixer bowl combine all cookie ingredients.  Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes).  Divide dough in half.  Shape each half into 8x1" roll.  Wrap in plastic.  Refrigerate until firm (1-2 hours).

Heat over to 350.  With sharp knife, cut each roll into 1/4" slices.  Place 2" apart on cookie sheets.  Bake for 8-12 minutes or until set.  Cookies will not brown.  Cool completely.

In a small mixer bowl combine all frosting ingredients.  Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until fluffy.  Frost cooled cookies.

Lastly, I found this game at GW.  My kids LOVE playing this when we go over our friends house so I was excited to see it and pick it up for $5. 


No comments:

Post a Comment