Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm baaaack...

Since I was off from work for 2 weeks during the holidays I took a break from Thursday night dinners and posting on my blog but I've been up to a lot lately.  I'll try to recap the last few weeks in a few, small, paragraphs!

Homemade Christmas Ornaments - we had a lot of fun making these, the recipe was very simple, I have tons of cookie cutters so we went to town.  Plus, who doesn't love a homemade ornament from a kid?

Running, Running, Running - I've signed up to run my second full marathon...and I said I'd never do it again.  Blame it on my sister.  She's doing her first and I'm doing it to support her...that's just the kind of person I am.

New Year's Resolutions - We spent New Year's Eve like with did last year with good friends and good food.  I love going over the Flanagan's because they serve you deer disguised as good things like Taco Soup and Cincinnati recipe chili!  Kevin made deer jerky...it was REALLY good...maybe I like deer after all?  My resolution came to me whilst watching "19 Kids and Counting"...I'm a huge Duggar family fan.  Now, I'm not going to be growing my hair long, wearing skirts or quit drinking beer any time soon...but I am going to try and live my life modeled after "God first, others second, yourself last".  This subject was also brought up in the homily at church this week; we are here to serve God and others Fr. Mario said.  Therefore, my resolution is to serve others.  Now, I think I already do that to some extent in the way Joe and I open up our home to family and friends, but I think there are small ways I can do this too.

My other New Year's Resolution is strength train along with my marathon training.  I have NO upper arm strength, Joe makes fun of me all the time.  I'm going to try and change that.

Finds at the GW - there hasn't been much because I've been doing so much Christmas shopping.  But I found 2 pairs of jeans (Levi and Gap) for Isaac for $5.  I usually don't do well with boys clothes at the GW but that day was an exception.  I also found a Vera Bradley belt, new with tags, and got it for $2.  I'm going to try to sell it for $15 the proceeds goes in my Tattoo Fund jar!

Recipes:

I have been cooking a few things and I'm happy to share two "keepers" from the stack:

Roast Pork with Duck Sauce on Garlic Bread - I originally printed this recipe out in 2001.  It was really easy and really good.  Something a little different.  But word to the wise, make sure you use SWEET HUNGARIAN paprika and not regular or it will be HOT.  You can omit this seasoning on the bread altogether if you want.



I have no idea where I got this next recipe but it was AWESOME.  I highly suggest making this.  I served it with garlic bread for a meal.

Mama's Italian Wedding Soup

1 pound extra-lean ground beef (90/10)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp minced onion
1 tspn dried basil
1/4 tspn garlic powder
2 1/2 quarts chicken broth (I used a little more, 2-48 oz cans)
2 cups fresh spinach
1 c acini de pepe or other tiny pasta (I used tubettini)
3/4 cup diced carrots
1 tbsp Italian seasoning

In a medium bowl, combine beef, egg, bread crumbs, basil, garlic and onion.  Shape mixture in to 3/4 inch (tiny) balls and set aside (I always take a bit of the mixture, cook in the microwave, taste and adjust seasoning as needed).

In a large stockpot, heat chicken broth to boiling; stir in pasta, carrots, Italian seasoning and meatballs.  Return to boil, reduce heat to medium.  Cook, stirring frequently, at a slow boil for 10 minutes until pasta is done and meatballs are no longer pink.  Add spinach and allow it to wilt.  Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.


Gia's Family Birthday Party - We celebrated Gia's birthday a bit early since Erica and Chloe were in town and Karen was too.  We had Moe Joe's for dinner (Joe's version of Moe's Southwestern Grill) and a cake made by Isabelle for dessert.  Lots of family joined and we reminded Gia of how lucky she is to have some many people love her!


Oh, I've been sdoing ome sophisticated baking with an Easy Bake Oven.  Gia wanted one for Christmas so instead of buying her a new one, I cleaned up the one we had in a box in the basement and gave it to her.  It was Isabelle's.
I think that's it for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment