Search This Blog

Monday, January 17, 2011

All good things start with "G"...

Goodwill, Gnomes, Gardens and Grandma....

If I had more time to shop at different thrift stores I would.  But, woe is me, I have a full time job and 3 kids and a busy husband and a marathon to train for so I just don't have the time to shop at different stores.  Thankfully, my GW is only a 5 minute drive away and very rarely disappoints.  Check out this cute Isaac Mizzrahi jacket that fits me like a glove that I got for 99 cents!

I really need a photographer or learn how to take better pics!  My head's cut off!

Sometimes, posting pics in this blog baffles me at times.  If I don't select all the pictures I want to add, I can't figure a way to add other pics later.  I'm a little technologically challenged so it doesn't surprise me.  Anyway, I wish I could have shown you the great garden ornament I got at GW a couple of weeks ago.  Mom and I we're shopping for "gag gifts" that I needed to bring to a party.  She showed me this ceramic figure of a larger older women laying on her stomach in a bathing suit and sun hat and I thought, "not very interesting", then when she pointed out what it actually was, it was mine!  It's a sprinkler for the garden.  You attach a hose to it and the water comes out the top of her hat!  I'll have to post the pic next time.  Anyway, she'll look great next to my gnome, who at present is tending my rosemary for the winter.  He helped it through the winter last year and I hope he does it again this year.  I believe in the magic of gnomes...  When I was cutting down my rosemary for the winter, a piece came out of the ground so I planted for indoors.  I've never had much luck growing rosemary indoors but, *knock knock* it seems to be holding up fairly well.  I've found the key to growing rosemary is to position it on the south side of the house.

I wonder what he does when I'm not looking!  Does he play with the other gnome in my garden?

The perfect window for my rosemary, facing south.

No Thursday night dinner last week but I do have some recipes to share.  Mom and Dad did come over but we just had soup and sandwiches.  My dad LOVES soup and Joe made a big pot of chicken noodle soup earlier in the week so we just had that.  My mom's birthday was this week so I made a couple of things so we had something to put the candle in so we could celebrate, low-key.  I would bet that you have everything on both these ingredient lists in your home.
Happy Birthday Marge!


Homemade Brownies

Margie's (my mom!) Lemon Bars

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup soft butter
1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Filling:
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lemon juice (if I'm using fresh lemons, I put the zest in too)

Mix crust, press into greased 9X9 pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350.  Mix filling ingredients, pour over crust and bake 25 minutes.  Sprinkle with confectioners sugar when cooled.  Cut into squares.
I'm outta here...

No comments:

Post a Comment