Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It's been a long time...

There has been so much going on lately that I just haven't had time to keep up with my blog and I definitely haven't been doing much cooking lately, at least in terms of trying new recipes.    But the holidays did afford me the opportunity to do an old favorite and try a new recipe.  And I'm also having some GW withdrawals...must get back to that VERY soon.


The main reason I've been away has to do with the sad news I have to share.  I'm not cool on putting depressing stuff on here, that's not the purpose of blogging for me but it needs to be "put out there" as I've come to terms with it.  Unfortunately, my father has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and we've been dealing with that news.  He had been sick for a while but we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him, turns out all the symptoms he was experiencing are all related to his small cell lung caner; the lethargy from low sodium (the cancer is in his liver), the shortness of breath (it's also in his lungs) and he couldn't eat because of a tumour next to his esophagus that is causing it to be displaced, hence, the food can't go straight down.  We have started chemotherapy and are now dealing with everything that comes with that.  Unfortunately, the cancer is treatable but not curable.  Please keep my family in your prayers...we can use all we can get.  But kudos to Dad for being such a trooper...


Ugh!  This rain!  It all started with the "camping trip from hell"!  The company was awesome but the weather was terrible!  We went to Big South Fork and did some camp tenting.  It started raining on Friday afternoon and it didn't stop; at least we got a walk through the woods before the downpour!  It rained and rained and rained.  We cooked food in the rain, we played cards in the rain, it was still raining at 10:00 at night when we decided to hop in the car and go to McDonald's just to get out of the rain.  And it kept raining all night.  It stopped in the morning, our tents were drying out and we were enjoying breakfast when the next storm hit...tearing down a wet tent in the rain and shoving it all into the car to get the hell out of there...priceless!  And it hasn't stopped raining since!  Adding to the stress of the camping trip...bears!  I've never been camping where there are bear warnings everywhere!  On the picnic table, a plaque that tells you what to do if a bear comes to your campsite, bear proof garbage cans, bear proof lockers to put your food in!  You drop a bit of food and instant freak out - is a bear going to sniff it out and invade?  And then Isaac puked in the middle of the night in the rain...do bears eat puke?  Well, apparently not Isaac's...


The stream right before the waterfall


Just a flower!

Camping kids

This tree is right on the edge of a cliff by the waterfall, I didn't take it...
way to scared to get that close to the ledge!

The top of the fall

The waterfall

Easter was a bit different for us this year, Dad got released from the hospital that morning and he couldn't be around kids or large groups of people because of his weakened immune system from chemo so unfortunately, only my brother's family and Britni were able to join the celebration but we appreciated the chance to be together.  You tend to appreciate the little things a lot more when your dealt the cancer card.  We were able to celebrate with Joe's entire family at our house, like we do every year.  Ham and lamb are always on the menu along with Baked Pineapple Casserole, can't have ham without it.  Also an Easter tradition is my bunny cake.  Instead of using a boxed cake mix, I decided to try Ina Gartner's coconut cake recipe.  Not a keeper, too dry...
The traditional Bunny Cake
Every year Grandma Schultz hides eggs with money! 
Isabelle found her eggs.
Issac's done hunting eggs.
And so is Gia!

Lastly, I ran my 2nd marathon with less than stellar results.  It was a bad day all around.  I was ready to check out at mile 6!  I kept looking for inspiration and I'd find it, one time in front of St. Cecilia with a nun and priest cheering me on!  But it didn't last long.  I seriously thought about taking the half course at the split but I want that tattoo so bad I stuck with the marathon course.  No tattoos for half marathoners.  It was hot and I over hydrated.  Good news...they were giving out beer at mile 23 so I took it!  Gotta love a marathon where spectators hand out beer.  The sodium helps and the alcohol relaxes, so I'm told...I'm gullible when it comes to beer so I'll beleive anything.  Congrats to my sister Karen and friend Kevin for finishing their first.

So, things can only look up from here...here's hoping for some interesting happenings to blog about...I'm always open for adventure so you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment